Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Have My Moments

One of the things that is hard about being a teacher, is that sometimes you don't get to see the affects of your labor.  Then, there are other times when I am blown away by a child's progress.  I am frequently given challenging students each year, because I love working with them, and make some good progress usually.  Two of my kids this year, T and L, have presented many of the typical challenges.  They came from a very weak teacher, so I also have a lot of habits to "undo."  I have worked hard.  I've seen growth, but yesterday was AWESOME.

L was working.  L and I have had some battle of the wills competitions.  Poor L doesn't realize how stubborn and patient I can be.  I've seen a lot of progress from her, but she still has these moments where I feel like we are back at square one.  L sits by herself, because she really needs it!  I was checking on her progress with her writing portfolio, and she says to me, "Mrs. F, I really like working hard!"  This comment was completely out of the blue.  There was no "reward" coming up or anything...I really think she actually meant it.

Friday afternoon, I am trying to finish their weekly behavior/academic progress reports.  There is about ten minutes left in the day, so I am in my usual rush.  T was one of the last ones I did.  I handed him his report, and told him to have a good weekend.  He handed it back to me and said, "Mrs. F, this isn't right.  I don't remember what day it was this week, but remember when I wasn't being respectful to you?"  He tells me this after he had just lost recess, and spent the entire time outside "walking the yellow line."  I told him how much I appreciated his honesty.

No comments: